Monday, October 12, 2009

What happened to fall?

A surprise snow shower has loaded the still-green leaves with a soppy burden this morning (this is a cell-phone pic from my office window - see the little wet playground at the left). What happened to fall?

Fortunately, I had hurried off to Emit Shoes last Saturday (a little store that sells overstock shoes out of big cardboard bins) to buy some cheap waterproof boots ($10.95) and some shoes that aren't my usual Chaco sandals - and found some $20 Earth shoes that fit. I love a bargain!

I'm very aware these last two weeks how much a spacious, airy workspace adds to my general happiness at work. Walking down the hall to the elevator or 'facilities,' I see the Mississippi River expanse and downtown Minneapolis open up all along the windowed corridor - one of the best views in town. Cut off from even the view of the weather and trees all summer, I felt like an underground troll, and it was easy to have the whole summer season pass by me only half aware. I know that there were several large storm systems that passed through during those weeks that I knew nothing about until I emerged, blinking, at the end of the day.

Now - to put some attention to work-life balance - which will be harder to do if I don't get my home space feeling a bit more inviting than my work space.

9 comments:

Minka said...

Yep, fall has been left out... or maybe just the order got mixed up - let's wait and see :)

Kim said...

Sweet--a post!
I'm a troll at work, but I do treasure having a private office. At lunchtime, when the weather's nice, I've just got to get outside, even though the people I normally sit with stay inside. It's so calming to reconnect with nature in the middle of the work day. Glad you're in the new space!

Anonymous said...

People always are saying "I know just what you mean..." about this or that, but in this case, I think I DO know just what you mean - about that large, airy workspace and how it affects you. I pay a premium price for my apartment because of a water view. But here at my computer I look to my left and see water and sky, and that great north view that lets me see the "northers" coming (send us some of that weather, would you!?) and the summer storm clouds build.

An inviting environment is so important. I'm working on mine these days, too!

Minka said...

You have something in my latest post, waiting for you.... hurry!

Madame DeFarge said...

I'm not envious of the snow - I'd like to finish autumn first. I know what you mean about the troll thing. Go to work in the dark, come back in the dark. Used to be far worse when I lived in Scotland. More daylight down here in London - that's about the only advantage.

Pop and Ice said...

Please keep the snow for a bit. I'm not ready! *wail*

Mary Ellen said...

Well - it's been nice for the last three days, and it's going to be nice for one more - then - back to chilly rain (possibly mixed with snow). But I'm in deep denial. Wish I could just spend these few precious glowing autumnal hours outdoors, though.

Minka said...

Come n, Mary Ellen.... you must have an obsession or two...? :D

Kim said...

I'm eager to see a post about your new dog!