Monday, January 18, 2010

Thanks, blogging companions


I've had the happy fortune to have had two days largely spent in rest and reflection, thanks to the car acting up and my trusty mechanics at Gorshe Auto not having time to work on it today (AND it being a holiday from work). Today I read through the blog entries for the year. I hadn't realized it had been a year - one that started with a secret blog (on spirituality), which I merged later on after I started this one, in a lighthearted mood one day. As I remember it, starting up the first one was a pretty big deal at this time last year - a ray of light and hopefulness in a fairly bleak period of time. I'm glad I loosened up, though, and found a balance of daily life along with more intense reflections.

It's been a highlight of my year, writing this blog, and especially finding others out there in the Hamlet of Blogville to be blogging companions.

What did I learn from re-reading my blogs?

How many weeks blurred by in a workaholic fog . . .

How I celebrated my elderly dog, Rufus, creaking along for so many months in his late life, and how hard it was to let him go . . .

How much fun it was to buy my new pocket-sized Nikon and try it out (reminder to self: I should carry it around more of the time, to catch life happening around me). . .

What fun it was to travel, and to share the beauties of my home state of Idaho (and more here) . . .

How besotted I could get over a curly young pup . . .


And, perhaps most importantly, that writing is a form of mindfulness for me, and it helps to bring me most fully alive. Also, that it is writing in the context of a community, especially a multi-generational community of women.

Here's to a new year of blogging. I might even try writing some more static sketches to post in my "other" blog, "More about me (than you wanted to know)."

Flash! Just found that this blog is now the first hit when I Google "is there anyone else up there" . . . fame!

Bye for now - and thanks!

11 comments:

Sultan said...

Hopefully you will have a fulfilling year.

Kim said...

Your writing is a gift to me. Glad your commitment to it is growing again.

Minka said...

I thought it was in February... anyway - I wish you a lot of fulĨfilling blogging in the next year ans more :D

Mary Ellen said...

Minka, the earlier posts were the ones from my first blog that didn't get any readers - I decided to count them for an anniversary of blogging in general. The "official" one-year anniversay is still a bit out there - and we'll celebrate it together!

Minka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Minka said...

Oh, dear Mary Ellen! I have found those nice posts without readers! You are right and your anniversary IS now! :))

Anil P said...

In helping host the articulating mind a blog is but a slate that lets the chalk live so when folks file into the classroom they can look at the blackboard and not worry where they're about to sit.

Here's to many more posts.

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks, Anil - I took a look at your blog - a great visit to the other side of the planet.

Madame DeFarge said...

Congrats and here's to many more.

julochka said...

i love this review! i did one at the end of the year and agree that it's time well spent...both going over what you've written for the past year and writing it in the first place! write one!

xox,
/julie

Nancy said...

So glad you found blogging, and we found you. Or the other way around, whatever. We meet here for a reason, I think.